Making the indispensable real: Research and innovation of palm oil.
RESEARCH AND INNOVATION. A weakness of developing economies is the lack of research and development. Innovation has tended to be the preserve of the more advanced economies. However, the income generated from palm oil provides the opportunity to commit resources which is currently being witnessed with most palm oil companies developing their own R and D facilities and several government initiatives are underway.
There are several levels for research and development for palm oil. Amongst others:
- On the level of production process, many plantations are characterized by outdated technologies and there is clear room for further research to include digital technologies.
- The development of palm oil seed varieties with high yield.
- Disease and pest control.
- Biochemical, physiological, nutritional, hematological and toxicological aspects of palm oil.
- Water recycling from POME and cogeneration.
- Support for downstream use of palm oil oleo-chemicals.
MY EXCERPTread more
The Ministers responsible for the palm oil industry from Malaysia, Her Excellency Mdm. Teresa Kok, Minister of Primary Industries of Malaysia, and His Excellency Mr. Darmin Nasution, Coordinating Minister for Economic Affairs of the Republic of Indonesia co-chaired the 6th Ministerial Meeting of Council of Palm Oil Producing Countries (CPOPC) in Jakarta, Indonesia, on 28 February 2019. The Ministry of Agriculture of Colombia was represented by Mr Felipe Fonseca Fino, Director of Agricultural Rural Planning Unit.read more